Monday, May 4, 2009

Running Again!

5/4/09

I went for a run today!  I told myself last week that I wanted to start running today.  It rained and rained and rained non-stop all day, but I went anyway.  I brought my running clothes to radiation and went right after, by the river.  I set a goal of moving for 30 minutes, running when I could and walking when I got tired.  I was able to run for 10 minutes without stopping.  I ran very slow, but it felt great!  Well, it felt mentally great.  My poor leg muscles started hurting and it felt as if I'd never run before.  It was especially sweet to run today as I ran on the same course that the Eugene marathon runners ran on yesterday- the markings were still on the pavement.  I was so inspired and I thought about how hard it must be to run a marathon, but they do it by just putting one foot in front of the other.  I realize that I am starting way, way below where I used to be with fitness, but it felt so great to start that I don't even care where I'm at right now.  I didn't make it the whole 30 minutes- I went for about 25, then started cramping and had to hobble back to the car.  The funny thing is that it hurt just as bad as yesterday in the mall.  But I was so happy that I didn't care about the pain- it just felt like intense exercise pain.  At the mall when it started hurting, I started crying.  Partly from the pain and partly because it was so discouraging to be unable to walk the length of a stupid shopping mall.  Today I got home and was pretty sore- my leg muscles and my surgery area, but I am feeling very happy!  Same pain, different reactions.

5 Down, 28 To Go!

No comments: