Saturday, May 30, 2009

Hair Debut

5/30/09

Another beautiful, warm, sunny Saturday today.  Hard to remember all the Oregon rain when the weekend is so beautiful.  The girls and I went on our first official bike ride of the season.  We rode through the West Eugene Wetlands for a special day they were having- we got to stop at different stations and entered a drawing to win passes to Amazon pool and free car repairs, both of which we DESPERATELY need right now.  I'm using positive visualization to win these things- acting as if I've already got them....

My hair is coming back!  I've got maybe an inch all around.  It seems to be grey- I guess I earned my grey hair this past year!  I went out with just the bike helmet on, and we stopped off at a little coffee shop on the way back for cold drinks.  I was SO hot and when I went in, I considered just keeping the helmet on, since I haven't gone out in public yet without a head covering.  But, I looked around and realized that I was totally anonymous there so it felt safe to go bare headed.  I took the helmet off and the girls and I relaxed and played tic tac toe for awhile.  There was a bald guy sitting in the corner and I noticed that he kept looking at me.  He caught my eye a couple of times and smiled, almost like he was flirting.  I was a little freaked out because I really didn't want to be noticed by anyone.  As we left, he stopped me and told me that I had a great shaped head and that I carried "The Look" well.  It was an interesting experience.  I've never thought of my head as being a "Look", but I suppose it is my look now.  The guy's comments gave me enough courage to try one more public place without a head covering.  We went to the library, where it's impossible to stand out because there are so many "interesting" characters out front.  The girls didn't even notice that I wasn't wearing a hat.  I felt myself getting "looks" once I got inside the library, but I just tried not to make eye contact with anyone.  After awhile, I did start making eye contact, and to my surprise, several bald guys smiled at me!  What's up with that?  Do bald guys think it's cool to see a bald girl?  Anyway, I thought I'd wait till my birthday in a few weeks to uncover, but it's so hot I may just start now.  I had the thought that it'd be fun to get a picture right now with me and my 4 brothers- all of us bald at once.  Although technically, I'm no longer bald, I just have ultra short hair.  

I played soccer tonight and I believe I'm ready to rest now.  I've been paying close attention to my fatigue level and so far it's ok, but I'm not going to over do it.  Tomorrow will be more of a day of rest.  Last night I slept pretty well- these new sleeping pills are keeping me asleep for about 4-5 hours a stretch.  It makes a huge difference to not be sleep deprived!

No comments: