Tuesday, May 19, 2009

16 Down, 17 To Go

I'm excited because tomorrow is flip day, the day when I've completed more days of radiation than I have left!  The end is really, really near!  

I've decided to keep lots of different types of exercise equipment in the trunk.  That way I can just check in with my body each day after radiation and decide what's best for me to do based on my energy level.  I've got roller blades, running gear, walking shoes, and a bathing suit in case I just want to sit in the sauna.  Today was a moderate walk day and I went for 25 minutes.  Today was the first day in a long time where I wasn't exhausted when I got home.  I'm proud to say that I've been making dinner for weeks now, and we've been eating simply but well.  My garden is producing tons of salad material.

I've removed the polish from my nails to see what they look like.  I've lost a total of 4 and the other ones are still hanging on, but they are definitely dead and white looking.  For some reason it isn't bothering me so much. 

 I've also slowly been introducing the world to my bare head.  This weekend I went to a lake (Fall Creek Reservoir) to go swimming.  I was really hot and I just didn't want to wear anything on my head.  Plus, many of the other people at the lake were bald, pierced (in all sorts of weird places!) and tattooed and I didn't feel so out of place or self-conscious.  So, I went without any covering and I didn't notice any unusual looks at all.  I've started riding around in the car without any covering on.  I figure in the car no one will have the chance to stare for too long and no one will have the opportunity to make comments.  I've started noticing more and more bald or semi-bald (as I now think of myself) people around town- tons of men and several young women.  I'm half way considering getting some leather, denim, chains, and combat boots so I can carry off the bald look.  I have a goal for myself of going without a hat beginning on my birthday.  I'm imagining that once I'm 40 I will have so much self-confidence and wisdom that I can carry off any look I like!

I am so very amazed at how much the girls have grown up and gained self-confidence this school year.  Karina can now run the washing machine, the dryer, and the dish washer by herself.  She can also make a few simple dinners.  Kaycee is not having melt-downs and she is managing her emotions better than some adults I know.  I am so proud of them and I feel like all the hard work I put into them over the years has been worth it.

All in all, a pretty good day today- stable mood, no stomach ache, not too tired.  Yeah!

No comments: