Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Goal!

3/1/09

First off, I scored a goal in soccer today! This is a huge deal for me for several reasons. First of all, I've been sick with a cold/sore throat/cough thing all week. So I didn't get my feel good week between chemo. I was feeling a bit better today, but having trouble getting out of bed this morning. It's a grey day and rainy and although I slept well, I am starting to feel fatigued. I called D for a pep talk and she reminded me that I could always go to the game and just sit and watch and that would feel good too. Or, I could play for 2 minutes and be done. I got dressed and went, and I felt so good out on the field. When I'm right in the middle of playing soccer, I don't think about my health or chemo or any of it. I just have fun. I get to recall that feeling later on in the week when I'm in bed feeling like crap from the chemo. When I decided to start playing again, I knew I wouldn't be making any goals and I was just happy to be playing. So today felt especially sweet. I can still play soccer and I can still score goals!

I learned from another of Dr. T's patients that he talks about his patient that plays soccer during chemo to new patients. It's a little intimidating and really cool that I get to be that soccer playing chemo patient!

I had a terrible rash on my hands- a side effect from the new chemo. I had it looked at on Friday and was told there isn't anything that I can do about it but take benadryl. It has been itchy and annoying, and the pain in my finger tips and underneath my nail beds has come back. My herbalist recommended St. John's Wart oil for the pain, and Emu oil for the rash. I've tried both and finally today the rash is gone! The pain comes and goes and isn't too bad now. I got the name of a naturalpathic oncologist who is supposed to be able to help with side effects, so I'm going to make an appointment to see her. I was told by the staff Dr. T's office that my rash and finger pain will probably get worse with each treatment, and finally go away a few months after treatment is over. These are not side effect that I particularly enjoy, so hopefully I can use some alternative stuff to keep them under control.

Ok, we're celebrating tonight at the Olive Garden. Celebrating what? The fact that I feel good and that I have an appetite and that I played soccer and that the girls are doing great in basketball and that we're alive and well!

3 comments:

Faith said...

You are really incredible Krista! Playing soccer and scoring a goal in the middle of chemo while coming off of a week of having a cold. I hope your celebration dinner was fun. Lots to celebrate. Impressive!!!
On the practical side - I have a few samples of a homeopathic cream that helped my husband with nerve pain after a surgery last year. I can put them in your box at work if you would like to try them.

Geek Knitter said...

All things most worthy of celebration. Congratulations on scoring a goal, and for being "that" chemo patient!

PodPoet said...

Krista, have you tried organic bee propolis for your rashes/skin irritations? When Grandma had shingles I researched and found that bee propolis can work wonders to make skin feel better under many circumstances. Grandma had tried a bunch of remedies but none worked, until she tried the propolis. She said it was the only thing to give her instant relief! Give it a try and see if it helps you like it did her. Love, Steve