Monday, March 30, 2009

The Finish Line

3/30/09

I suppose this is like a marathon, where the hardest part is the very end. I got back from our trip completely exhausted and sick with yet another cold. I was so fatigued yesterday that I spent the day in bed. I got a lot of rest, and a good night's sleep last night, and I woke up this morning still exhausted and still with this cold. My eyes are all goopy and stuck together, my nose is stuffed, and I've got yet another cough. I'm nervous about getting more chemo on Wed as I don't feel strong and I don't feel like I've bounced back enough yet.

On a positive note, I still have my eyebrows and my eye lashes, and even my nails. Although I'm not sure my nails will be around for much longer. Several of them are very painful and I can feel that the nails are loose and are lifting away from the nail bed. It's freaking me out and it's grossing me out. From what I read on the internet, they could either stay loose like that, or they could fall out. I'm tempted to put tape around them to keep them on.

I'm disappointed because outdoor soccer starts this week and there is no way I'll be able to play. I am grateful for all the games I did get to play. This is just hard for me right now. I am having a hard, hard time with having no energy. It does help I suppose that it was expected. I was told that the chemo is cumulative and that it gets very hard at the end. One woman told me that she went from taking a few days off of work after chemo to taking a full week of towards the end. I'm glad it's spring break for me still this week so I don't have to use any more of my sick leave. It'll be better once the girls go back to school tomorrow as I can rest without worrying about them.

1 comment:

Heather said...

You are so close! It's amazing what you HAVE had energy for during this process. Many people wouldn't be able to do what you have done, and with such grace. Hang in there!!